[CH] Re: Habanero Germination

JYANDERS@aol.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:10:04 EST

burjin wrote:

>I realize the germination time for Hab seeds is long. Mine do not
>sprout until some 50 days and then only 50% sprout. The rest are
>probably eaten up because of remaining in the soil for so long

>Is there something I can do to speed up the germination process?

This is my first year growing peppers from seeds and I had good results from
the following process:

I first soaked the seeds in a luke warm bleach (~10%) and water solution for
15 minutes then rinsed well, again with luke warm water. I then folded a paper
towel to a size that would fit inside a zip lock sandwich bag, moistened it,
placed the seeds inside a fold and placed the paper towel inside a zip lock
bag. I then placed this on a heating pad set on low. After germination (~5
days to 3 weeks, depending on variety) I planted the seedlings in soil
composed of vermiculite, potting soil and perlite (equal proportions by
volume).

This worked for me. I have had roughly 80-90% germination rates, even with
habaneros, rocotos, ubatuba cambuci, two different ajis, and a variety of
other types; 18 in all.

I hope this helps.

As an aside, being my first time and all, any feedback from the group would be
welcomed.

John - Phoenix