[CH] Re: Bufalo Chipotle (was Sauce bottles)

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (johnfentner@home.net)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:32:24 -0500

Rain wrote:

> -> On another note, anyone ever tried Bufalo (this is how it's actually
> -> spelled) Chipotle Sauce? I just picked up a jar for $1.19 in my local mex
> -> store and it's pretty darned good. Not hot, although the bottle says VERY
> -> HOT, but has that great smoky chipotle flavor. Now I just need to figure out
> -> what to do with it. Any suggestions?
> Try it sparingly in macaroni and cheese, on fish sandwiches mixed with
> the tartar sauce or in tuna casserole, or lavishly on burgers and
> fries. It's marvelous.  Also try it on cantaloupe.

I use that stuff by the ton (bought a case from Curt & Susie
and it's almost gone). It has a very strong flavor so use it
sparingly:

Anything with beef: it looks sorta like A-1 Sauce but it
don't taste like it. Use as a spread or dip with burgers,
beef ribs, roast beef, or steak ('specially that cheap chuck
steak that isn't good for anything else).

Add it to gravies, soups, stews, chili etc. It's sorta like
garlic in the sense that it adds lots of body and flavor
without becoming the primary ingredient. We've used it in
beef, pork and lamb gravies and it improved all of them.

Does wonders for mushrooms. Saute' a pound in butter and add
a teaspoon of sauce when they are done. Or mix the sauce
half & half with melted butter and use it as a baste for
mushrooms, shrimp and/or steak chunks grilled on a skewer.

Oh yeah...next time you make bread or dinner rolls, add a
little to the dough. My wife made dinner rolls for
Thanksgiving, one batch with and one without.  The ones with
the sauce were a hit with the starving relatives but none of
'em could figure out why.  :)

JB
--
John Benz Fentner, Jr.