Re: [CH] Jerk Pork Recipe.......and Dave's Salsa

Tom F. Bryant (tfbxgp@neto.com)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:40:27 -0600

Andy & Tina, Chet's recipes should get you started and I don't have anything
to add. Just wanted to welcome you to the trials and tribulations of growing
chiles. But about your being a "Rookie C-H", I doubt it. If you can eat
"Dave's Insanity Sauce" you must be very experienced, and a better man than
me. Coupla years ago Wifey cooked up a wonderful Mexican supper for me. For
the entire (large) plate, I added 3 pencil-eraser sized blops of DIS. It was
so hot I couldn't get my breath.......incredible pain! After an attempt to
scrape it off, wound up (sadly) tossing the whole thing in the recycle bin,
and had Campbell's soup for supper. If you're about to start germinating
seeds already, you must be as impatient as I am. I have Fresno's 8 in. tall
in my small greenhouse. I'm using gro-lites, but I keep the temp down to 70
to slow them down. From experience (ignored again this year), I know they'll
be tall and lanky, touching the ceiling, and fruitless, long before time to
harden off and transplant. They'll need pruning, probably twice, while in
the greenhouse. You'll find the tabascos useful in a number of applications.
Example (if you enjoy "spirits"): Slit the fresh chiles, and put 3-4 of them
in liter bottles of GOOD sour mash bourbon, or GOOD tequila. I like "Dickel
12" whiskey, and "Hussong's" tequila. ("Chinaco" tequila when I can afford
it). Strain and remove the chiles in 48-72 hours. Also make "hot sauce" for
your greens and salads. Happy growing.
Tom