Re: [CH] White-Flies

Jeff Chandler (chandlerj@gactr.uga.edu)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:27:48 EST5EDT

I've had two Red Savinas Habs growing in a large pot for about 3
years.  Nothing you describe sounds particularly serious to me,
since I've had those very same things with my Habs and they
did survive for 3 years before I left them out this winter.  Flies (mine
were black like gnats) and aphids (you'll likely see this soon) are
common because there usually aren't any natural pest predators to
control them and/or the plants do not get rained on to help wash
them off.  To help control the pests, you can try a spray of water
and a little Dawn (liquid dish washing soap)... or some other
insecticidal soap.  I also would put the pot in the shower every so
often and give the Habs a good spraying to help knock off the
aphids and refresh the plants.  If your plants can be carried outside,
a quick hosing during a milder sunny afternoon would do the same.

As for the leaf drop, get used to it--this is natural.  The plants are
not getting the same amount of sunlight (I even had a grow lamp to
help) and the inside temps are usually cooler during the day.  They
should stop producing flowers/peppers and experience some die-
back of minor branches and leaves.  Now is the time to prune your
peppers back some, removing any dead or shooting branches
(usually weak, fast growing branches at the top), so that they won't
be 6' tall and unable support themselves, let alone fruit.  You also
should not have to water them nearly as often as you would during
the summer--maybe once every week or two.  Use a mild fertilizer
(like Miracle Grow 8-8-8... or something like that) maybe once a
month at most.

Basically, you are just trying to keep them alive until you can put
them back outside.  Probably by the time spring comes your habs
will look pretty poor despite all your care.  Not to worry, though...
warmer weather and fertilizer will have them putting on new leaves
and branches in no time.  Just be careful with them when you first
put them out next spring... the leaves will be tender "indoor" leaves,
unused to direct sunlight.  You should start them out in a shady spot
and gradually move them back to full sunlight as they begin putting
on more "outdoor" leaves so that you don't sunburn the stems and
leaves, which can really hurt your plants.

>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:00:41 -0700
>From: Greg Jensen  <gjensen@amrion.com>
>Subject: [CH] White-Flies
>
>All-knowing CHs,
>My cohorts at work and I have maintained 2 very healthy Hab plants through
>the harsh Colorado winter but are now experiencing a problem. Over the
>past couple of weeks they have been experiencing significant leaf-drop
>concentrated at the bottom of the plants. The top still is experiencing
>new leaf growth but nearly all of the leaves in the  bottom 6 inches or so
>have fallen off. We haven't adjusted the watering schedule at all (they
>have been thriving up until maybe 3 weeks ago) so I don't think that is
>the problem. I have noticed, however, that we now have white-flies on a
>few of the leaves and I'm wondering if they may be the culprit. Also, with
>it being in December they aren't getting a great deal of natural sun-light
>at the current time but they are still receiving a tremendous amount of
>fluorescent. The Jalapeno plants beside them are doing well so I'm not
>sure if the lighting may also be contributing. At any rate, any and all
>feedback would be appreciated.

Jeff Chandler,
Computer Services
Georgia Center for Continuing Education