[CH] Kauai Restraunts and Peppa's

dlaw@andros.com
Wed, 06 Jan 99 09:58:24

Hi Mike,

Enjoy your time in the Islands.  I just got back from 2 relaxing weeks on
Kauai.

I can't speak to the Big Island, but on Kauai try Mema's.  Thai cusine
available in 4 different intensity levels; mild, medium, hot, and Thai hot.
I had a Rendang (?SP?) pork curry done medium (no other CH's at the table)
and it was divine.  They are located in the Kinipopo Shopping center just
south of the Coconut Plantation on HI 56.

If you get a chance, head down to Nawiliwili (SE corner of the Island) and
look for Garden Island Billiards.  At the corner of the building next to a
soveigner shop, there is what was called a "hawa'i peppa".  The bush looks
to be at least 3-4 years old (3" diameter stalk, 6' high and pruned).  The
peppers have an upright growing position, were roughly conical, 0.5 - 1.5"
in length and approximately .25" in diameter.  They varied in color from
yellowish green to lemon yellow to red-orange.  Does anybody have any idea
what sort of pepper they are?  the flavor of one of the redorange ones was
about 2 times your average store bought serano on the hot scale with almost
no flavor of it's own.  I had a bag full of ripe chile's that the lady
running the shop let me pick, but I made the mistake (?) of being a law
abiding citizen.  When the Ag inspectors asked about fresh produce I
brought out my bag of fresh chiles and they made me leave them behind.

Have fun and

Eat hot.
Think hot.
Love hot.