Re: [CH] Pinto Beans

Nels Peterson (npkp4jp@polarcomm.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:29:48 -0600

Scott,
>you wrote:
>
>I was given a huge bag of pinto beans. While I've used them a lot in
>chili's I'm need some good hot recipes for side dishes.
>
>Thanks in advance

We get about 2 big buckets a year from farmer friends.  We use pintos in any
dish that calls for dry beans.

Make refried beans out of them and use them for any recipie that calls for
refried beans - tacos, burittos, dips, etc.

To make refries, just mash beans when they are done and stir in a couple of
tablespoons of buter or bacon grease.  (Sometimes we just mash 'em not even
putting in any extra fat).

Some family favorites:

Pinto beans and rice
12 - 16 ounces chicken or pork strips
1 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1 Cup Diced Green Pepper
1 Cup Diced Carrots
1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin (I use somewhat less than a full
teaspoon)
1 Quart Canned Tomatoes (2 -  15 0z. Cans,
diced/chopped)
1 Pound pinto beans - cooked
1 - 3 Seeded - minced  jalapeno pepper(s) (or 1 Tablespoon
canned jalapeno pepper - Rotelle type, or to taste)
Salt  and pepper to taste

Stir fry the meat - remove from pan.  Sauté the onion, green
pepper, jalapeno, and carrot for 7 - 10 minutes.  Add the
meat and tomatoes to the pan, and simmer for 10-15
minutes. Serve over rice

To cook rice -

4 Cups water
2 Cups uncooked rice

Pour the water into a microwaveable casserole, bring to
boil on High setting.  Pour in rice, cover and microwave for
30 minutes at 50% power.  Perfect rice every time.

This makes a large batch  - could probably be cut in half, we have a large
family.

Pork & Beans
1 quart cooked beans
Diced bacon
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. dry mustard
Pepper
1 Tbsp. molasses
Water to cover
Catsup
chile peppers to taste
Onions

Cook beans -- drain.
Mix together with other ingredients and cook/bake until the vegetables are
done, checking for liquid.

Bean Dip Meal.

Use refried beans. Mix equal parts refried beans and browned hamburger(1
1/2#), add 1/4 cup taco seasoning. Spread on cookie sheet. Chill in
refrigerator. Top with 1 cup sour cream mixed with 2 tablespoons taco
seasoning.  Top this with chopped lettuce, green peppers and grated cheese.
Cut in squares and serve with salsa spread over the top and your choice of
chips(using the chips as a spoon).  We either use tomato or tomatillo salsa.

Hot bean dip

Equal parts refried beans, tomato sauce and velveeta type cheese.  Mix
togetehr and heat in double boiler.  Add minced jalapenos to taste.  Serve
as a hot dip with tortilla chips.

Enjoy,

Nels in ND