Re: [CH] light reflectivity

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:11:29 +1100

At 11:08 AM -0500 21/1/99, Byron Bromley wrote:
>In flash photography light falls off - looses intensity- at the
>rate of the reciprocal of the distance squared.  1/d"
>
>I wonder if with low intensty lights like florescent tubes,
>that even if you used mirrors to reflect the light, is there
>enough energy left to be even worthwhile. ??
>
>If I haven't lost something, plants normally absorb solar
>energy from the top anyway.
>
>Byron
Good question
What happens with plants and light is still a mystery.
Forest under-story plants (Like Chillies?) are adapted to use all the light
that the forest "over-story" plants leave for the. Plants in the higher
canopy might take a major bit of certain spectrum but the under-story
plants see to treat what is left as full sun
Reflecting light up through a plant I find useful for Lavenders and
Rosemary's and other Mediterranean plants who don't like my humid coastal
climate
(They are also used to a reflective white doloMitety soil. What is the soil
like in the Yucatan peninsular?)
I find that My chillies Must have strong sunlight to ripen and fruit well.

PS Any Mac owners out there with a bug that takes all your  lower case "M"s
and Makes your Mouse pointer go wonky?

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
Bookshop, nursery, media, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery, insanity. EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
Chilli Festival 1999
At TFG: 5, 6, 7 March  see  http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/chillifestival/