Re:[CH] Question ??

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:47:36 RSA-2

>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:24:34 +1100
>From: lukasz <lukasz@midcoast.com.au>
>Subject: [CH] Question ??

> Does any one have any hints as to the background colour I
> should to photograph chile flowers against.

Would suggest a neutral light grey or white.  Other colours may
detract from the flower colour.

> I want to take
> photograph's of several chile flowers and send them to G
> Caselton to put on his site, and maybe get a idea of what type
> they really are.

Great idea.  This is a very much needed service for those
trying to identify species.

> Thanks, Luke in Oz I will try with a digital
> camera first, failing that I will take real photographs and
> then scan them. Anybody done this?

He he part of the problem of the digital cameras is the auto
focus "feature".  If you can figure how to disable it and keep
it focused at the distance from the flower you may have some joy.

One way may be to pick the flower and drop the stem through a
hole in the background board.  Most have a flower nearly at
right angles to the stem.  So just tape the stem to the back
and get the flower straight on.  BTW a sideways view would be
nice as well.

A SLR is by far the preferred equipment.  A macro lens or
extender rings may be of some help as well.  Bounced flash fill
in (assuming you are taking pics using daylight) will probably
give better results as well.

Good luck with your project and do let us know of any success.

Cheers
Peter
-- Peter Moss

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'". - Bruce Perens