Re: [CH] Feral Dogs

Andy B (quark@erols.com)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:25:17 -0500

Another non-leathal approach to a similar problem.

My neighbor's dog (in subburbia) wasn't feral -- just set loose whenever it needed
out. It (male) decided to relieve itself every day on my new, expensive ornamental
shrubbery. (Replace "shrubbery" with "carefully-raised hab plants" and you may
understand my concern.)

This approach only works in dry weather.  I ran a very fine, almost invisable, wire
through the shrubbery, being careful that it didn't get grounded.  Inside, I rigged
an auto spark-coil to run continuously when turned on, as if it were running in the
auto, grounded the case,  and attached the fine wire.  (The driver for an electric
cattle fence should also work well.)

They say punishment should fit the crime.  After one experience, the dog never came
back.   (Bodily fluids conduct electricity.)  I would rather have applied the
solution to its owner.

Andy