Re:[CH] bees

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:59:11 RSA-2

>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:37:27 -0500
>From: "Byron Bromley" <Byron.Bromley@gsd-co.com>
>Subject: [CH] bees

> Just read article about mites killing bees.

This is the Asian mite or Asian bee mite.  You might want to do a
web search for it.

The problem is not limited to USA so there should be plenty of
information.  In South Africa we too have this imported pest.
resistance to it but in the process a large percentage of swarms
will be killed off.  I believe that it can and is transported in
honey and that probably explains the spread.

> Its easier the have the bees do the garden pollination than
> doing manually

My chile plants have their own private pollinators by having a
hive of what you would call "killer bees" in a big old oak tree
real close to them.  My rocotos are under this tree and this
year doing real well.

I see ants crawling all over my chile plants and always in and
out of the flowers.  Do ants play any part in pollination of this
species?

Cheers
Peter

-- Peter Moss

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'". - Bruce Perens