Re: [CH] Carne Adovada

Sunny Conley (sunny@zianet.com)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:37:28 -0700

Chile Pepper Magazine, once published and edited by Dave DeWitt, changed hands
a couple of years ago. The web page is no longer being managed. Nevertheless,
here is a carne adovada recipe from REAL NEW MEXICO CHILE: AN INSIDER'S GUIDE
TO COOKING WITH CHILE by Sandy Szwarc[Golden West Publishers, 1996, 1997].
Enjoy!

Carne adovada is served much like plain red chile sauce over egg,potato,bean
and tortilla dishes. It is also the traditional filling for tamales.

3 cups prepared AUTHENTIC NEW MEXICO RED CHILE SAUCE (recipe below)
1 pound pork or beef stew meant, cubed

Place the chile sauce and meat in a crock ot or heavy pot. Add about 1 1/2 cups
water or beef stock, as needed. Cover and simmer gently until the meat is very
tender. The completed sauce should be rich and thick, not watery. You can let
it simmer all day in your crock pot, or in a covered pot for two to four hours.
Yield: about 5 cups

RED CHILE SAUCE

1 pd. dried New Mexico red chile pods, remove stems (leave seeds and veins if
you desire a hotter sauce)
2 heads of garlic, peeled
2 T dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
Water as necessary

Place the dried chile pods on a cookie sheet and place in a preheated 375
degree oven for just a few minutes until they become soft and leathery. Working
in samll batches at a time as will loosely fit into a blender or food
processor,puree smooth the chile pods with the spices, adding small amounts of
water as needed to make a sauce the consistency of thick cream. Place each
batch of the pureed mixture is a large bowl until all the chiles have been
blended. Stir the batches together to evenly disperse the seasinings. Yields
about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts.