Spicy Japanese Food??? (was: Re: [CH] Carne Adovada)

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:19:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Dave Drum wrote:

> Whyizit everyone (almost) seems to think that sushi = raw fish???
> Sushi may have sashimi (which IS raw fish) as part of its makeup. But,
> the facts are that there is more cooked seafood served in sushi than
> raw seafood served in sushi.
>
> There, another stereotype destroyed. Another windmill tilted at
> successfully.

While there are many cooked sushi things (sushi is stuff on vinegared
rice, btw), I think that the number of raw items exceeds the number of
cooked ones.  Sushi does not necessarily involve seaweed (nori) though
most rolls use it (some don't).

The cooked ones I can think of are octopus, squid, shrimp, egg (tomago),
eel (unagi), crab, and spam.  I'm not sure if monkfish liver is cooked.

There are vegitarian forms of sushi too.  These are not raw fish, but they
are raw vegetables.

It is interesting that there is very little use of chiles in the
regular or normal types if sushi, but there is some chile paste used
to make some spicy tuna, and to make some spicy mayo used in some rolls.

I wonder, do we have any Chileheads living in Japan, or some Japanese
Chileheads that might know if this is a cultural thing and if I'm
correct?

It is interesting in that Korean food has spicy forms, and Thai food is
certainly spicy, but I've never thought of Japanese food as spicy.

Comments???

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas