Re: [CH] Sushi

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:31:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, California Technologies wrote:

> Chuck Demas said:
>
> > Sushi does not necessarily involve seaweed
>
>Sushi is, simply, rice wrapped in seaweed.  Once the seaweed is
>omitted, the dish becomes something other than sushi.

You are apparently unaware of the nigiri form of sushi, but are thinking
only of the maki forms, either hosomaki or futomaki.  There is also a
pressed form of sushi, which is layered in a mold and then cut.  I think
this is Oshi style (but I may have the name wrong).  That style of sushi
does not have seaweed in it. There is a form with rice in a bowl with
pieces of fish on top.  Another form is with tofu pouches stuffed with
rice.  And another form is with auberage stuffed with rice.  Several of
these are described on this web page:

Sushi Terminology
http://www.netaxis.com/~war/sterm.html

While I am far from an expert on sushi, I have participated for some time
in the alt.food.sushi newsgroup, and I am a member of the Boston Sushi
Society mailing list.  You can verify with either that sushi does not
necessarily contain seaweed.

I also offer the following citation from the Epicurious Dictionary:
http://www.epicurious.com/db/dictionary/terms/indexes/dictionary.html

|sushi
|
|sushi [SOO-shee] A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored
|with a sweetened RICE VINEGAR, a mixture called SUSHI MESHI. Once
|cooled, the rice has a glossy sheen and separates easily. There is a
|wide variety of sushi including nigiri sushi (thin slices of raw fish
|seasoned with WASABI and wrapped around or layered with this rice),
|hosomaki (thin sushi rolls) and futomaki (thick sushi rolls). To make
|these rolls, various chopped vegetables, raw fish, pickles, TOFU, etc.
|are enclosed in sushi rice and wrapped in thin sheets of NORI
|(seaweed). The rolls are then cut into slices. Sushi are designed to
|be finger food and can be served as appetizers, snacks or a full meal.
|Soy sauce is often served with sushi for dipping. See also  SASHIMI.

> 	Sushi does not, necessarily, incorporate raw fish, certainly,
> yet it does incorporate seaweed.

Some does, some doesn't.  The nigiri form, probably the most popular form,
doesn't often use seaweed (nori), but a few types may use a small
semidecorative belt of nori to "hold" the toppng onto the the rice finger.

However, to say that sushi _MUST_ contain seaweed is simply incorrect.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

P.S. Sorry to have been so long and off topic, but I hate being told I'm
wrong when I'm not.

I don't much like being told I'm wrong when I'm wrong either.  :-)

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas