Re: [CH] Why Some Like It Hot

R. Solarion (galaxy37@1starnet.com)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:39:54 -0600

Kristofer, et al  -  Greetings.  Yes, there is much truth in all of this.
It has been written about countless times in magazines like "Prevention"
and in those freebies that are passed out at health-food stores.  My aunt,
who is pushing 90, is a numero uno chilehead herself.  She and my late
uncle, when younger, always had a garden full of peppers of all sorts.  She
has sworn for years that eating hot peppers will keep you from getting
cancer.  I don't know where she heard that bit of "folk wisdom," but she
has hardly ever been sick a day in her life.

Just this month in "Better Nutrition" magazine, there is an article on the
health benefits of oregano.  They have a website address.

http://www.droregano.net/

As for garlic, it is a known anti-viral agent that apparently works just as
well for the common cold as it does for combatting HIV.  A medical
professor at a Florida university did a survey, which was reported in
"Better Nutrition" back during the late 1980s, finding that people who eat
a lot of raw garlic rarely contract HIV, compared to those who don't eat it.

Personally, I have been eating hot and spicy foods most of my life; and
over the past 25 years I have maybe had a couple of bad colds, nothing
worse than that.

À Vôtre Santé!  Roberto (at the digest)

          "He who eats least, eats much."  Old Turkish Proverb