Re: [CH] Carne Adovada

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:26:06 +1100

At 10:30 AM -0500 26/1/99, Joe Ferguson wrote:
>Raw pork?  Chicken?  Really?
>
>I've had raw beef and fish/shellfish, but wouldn't even think about eating
>raw pork or poultry.  Not an option.  :o)
With pigs these days you are more likely to get an overdose of antibotics
rather than anything else!
Antibiotics are used routinely to make the pig fatter faster.
In my Mom's day pork had to be cooked to within an inch of its life before
you ate it
Otherwise you would get some dread disease. Now "pink" underdone pork is a
possibility.
(Kangaroo has to be served "pink" otherwise it is awful). The French are
probably the only people on the planet who respect and cook beef well ie
"blue" which refers to the colour.  Some French chefs I have met refuse to
cook any steak over medium rare. If you want well done you order something
else.
They usually 'hang' it in the frig for a couple of weeks to help tenderise
it first.
 My daughter when staying in Japan sat down to a meal of raw octopus etc
and  all sorts of unmentionables. However when she ate some of the
beautiful marbled thinly sliced beef her Japanese hosts were horrified
If raw meat is kept properly refrigerated you have less chance of getting a
bug from this than from stored cooked meat according to my local health
inspector.
By the way I am told Australia has some of the best and freshest sashimi
(raw seafood) around.

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
Bookshop, nursery, media, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery, insanity. EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
Chilli Festival 1999
At TFG: 5, 6, 7 March  see  http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/chillifestival/