Re: [CH] MEXICO

Harry Jones (hajones@swbell.net)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:09:46 -0600

Here's a few to get you started:

 Tacos al Pastor

  1        kg                   pork steaks
  10       single               pasilla peppers
  10       single               guajillo peppers
  1/2      clove                garlic
  1/4      cup                  white vinegar
  1/4      teaspoon             cumin
  5        single               cloves
  1        single               salt; to taste
  1        single               onion; finely minced

 Wash the peppers (removing the seeds), and boil in the vinegar until the
 peppers are soft. Blend the peppers, garlic and other spices in the same
 vinegar until you get a paste. Add more vinegar if necessary. Re-cook the
 past until it boils, continuously stirring to avoid sticking. Be careful,
 it gets very hot and might spatter while boiling.

 Get 1 kg pork steaks. The cut does not matter, but it has to be very
 thinly sliced. Ask your butcher to cut it and if possible to pound it flat.

 Thinly spread the paste on each steak and reserve the excess marinade. Put
 the steaks on top of each other, like in the "trompo" and let the meat
 marinate for 5 hours. (You can save the rest of the marinade fro more
 meat, it does not spoil for long periods of time).

 In a hot pan or skillet partially cook one steak at a time. Use oil if
 necessary.

 Cut the meat in strips 1/4 cm thick, and finish cooking the meat with one
 finely minced onion.

 The unique aroma will let you know when they are ready.
[...]

*******

 Lawry's Taco Spices and Seasonings

  1        tablespoon           flour
  1        teaspoon             chili powder
  1        teaspoon             paprika
  3/4      teaspoon             salt
  3/4      teaspoon             onion; minced
  1/2      teaspoon             cumin
  1/4      teaspoon             cayenne pepper
  1/4      teaspoon             garlic powder
  1/4      teaspoon             sugar
  1/8      teaspoon             oregano; ground

 1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.

 2. Prepare the meat filling ofr the tacos as described on the original
     package instructions:
     "In large skillet, brown 1 pound ground beef until crumbly; drain fat.
     Add spices and seasonings and 2/3 cup water; mix thoroughly.
     Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, 7 to 10
     minutes, stirring occasionally.
     Spoon meat filling into warmed taco shells or tortillas.
     Top with shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese and chopped tomato.
     Use fresh salsa and guacamole if desired. Makes meat filling for 12
 tacos
     (about 3 tablespoons each).

 Corn Tortillas

  1 1/2    cups                 masa harina (corn flour)
  2        teaspoons            salt
  2        teaspoons            lard or shortening
  1 1/4    cups                 water

 In a medium-size bowl, stir together masa harina and salt. In a small pan
 over high heat, bring lard to a boil and stir until melted. Pour into the
 masa harina and blend well with a fork and pastry blender. Knead on
 lightly floured board until smooth, about 5 minutes.

 Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll into a ball about 1-inch thick in
 diameter. Cover balls with plastic so they don't dry out. One at a time,
 roll each ball out between 2 pieces of waxed paper int a tortilla press.

 Heat a large cast iron or heavy skillet over high heat until very hot.
 Place dough in skillet. Cook on one side about 30 seconds, then flip and
 brown on second side, about 30 seconds.

 Keep warm in cloth towel until others
finished.

 Chile con Queso From Scratch

  2        tablespoons          butter
  1/2      medium               onion; chopped
  1        large clove          garlic; chopped
  1/4      teaspoon             cumin
  1        single               black pepper
  3 or 4   single               peeled canned tomatoes; (or 2 fresh peeled)
  2/3      can                  whole roasted green chiles
  8        ounces               white cheese; (Monterey Jack is OK)
  3        ounces               cream cheese; diced
  1/2 -2/3 cup                  cream

 Warm cheese to room temperature. Melt butter in small saucepan, add onion
 and garlic, cover and sweat for 5 minutes over low heat.

 Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, green chiles, cumin and pepper in a food
 processor and chop thoroughly (don't puree). Add tomato mixture to pan,
 cook at medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until most of the water has
 evaporated.

 Remove pan from heat, add cheese and stir until melted. Add cream to thin
 as needed.

 If you need to reheat the dip, use very low heat to avoid breaking down
 the cheese.

 Serve with tortilla chips or flour tortillas.

 Carne Guisada

  2        pounds               sirloin steak; cubed
  2        tablespoons          cornstarch
  1                             vegetable oil
  2        can (14 oz)          diced tomatoes
  1        cup                  water
  1        tablespoon           garlic powder
  1                             jalapeno pepper; diced and seeded
  1/2                           bell pepper; diced
  1/2      teaspoon             salt
  2        tablespoon           ground cumin
  1        teaspoon             black pepper

 Coat steak with cornstarch. Cook in a large oiled skillet over medium heat
 until browned, stirring constantly. Drain the meat on paper towels. Clean
 the skillet and add the steak and all other ingredients to the skillet.
 Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring
 often. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes or
 until sauce is thick and meat is tender.
 Serve with flour tortillas.

 Beef Tenderloin Mexicana

  4        5 ounce              beef tenderloin steaks
  2        tablespoons          lime juice (fresh)
  2        tablespoons          chili powder
  2        tablespoons          vegetable oil; (divided)
  2        teaspoons            garlic; minced
  1/4      teaspoon             cumin; ground
  1/4      teaspoon             red pepper flakes; crushed
  1        single               cilantro (fresh)
  1        single               red bell pepper rings or strips; for garnish
(optional)
                                -----Cramey Cilantro Sauce-----
  1        can (4 ounce)        green chiles; chopped
  1/2      cup                  whipping cream
  1/2      cup                  sour cream
  1        tablespoon           fresh cilantro; chopped

 Place steaks in wide, shallow dish. Combine lime juice, chili powder, 1
 tablespoon oil, garlice, cumin and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Pour
 over steaks and rub to coat.

 Heat remaining oil in large, heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat
 until hot. Add steaks and cook 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
 Transfer to serving platter and keep warm. Spoon sauce over steaks.
 Garnish as desired with cilantro sprigs and red bell pepper rings.

 Creamy Cilantro Sauce:

  Place chilies in blender and puree until smooth. Combine with whipping

  cream in small saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle boil.

  Whisk in sour cream and cilantro. Cook until just heated through.