re: [CH] Making Chile powders?

Ray Dawson (dawson@sgi.net)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:02:13 -0500 (EST)

I've also used a small electric coffee grinder to make chile powders with
great success. Through experimentation I've found it best to bake the
dried chiles on a cookie sheet in a 325 degree oven for about 3 minutes
(or until just starting to brown a little... it doesn't take long) just
prior to grinding. It removes the last bit of water from the dried fruits
allowing the grinding process to go a little more smoothly and also
imparts a nice toasty flavor to the finished product. Don't bake them too
long, however, or you will end up with a burnt tasting powder as well as a
house full of highly irritating chile smoke!

As Dave mentioned, I would also highly recommend working under a range
hood while grinding and standing back as far as possible when opening the
lid of the grinder to avoid choking yourself with fine chile dust.

Stay chile,
--
Ray Dawson