Re: [CH] green chile stew?

Phil Cody (wpcody@mindspring.com)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:26:52 -0500

On Monday morning you wrote:

>I'm also looking for that wonderful green chile they smother
>everything with in the west. Had a wonderful burrito with the >stuff
in Mancos, CO when we lived there and I've not found a >good recipe
since...and that was over 5 years ago!  :(

>Can anyone help?

Babs,

Here is a quick recipe for green chile stew along with notes to make
the more authentic version.   The original recipe was taught to me by
friends from Pueblo, Colorado twenty five years ago and used only
fresh onion and garlic.  In the original recipe, the fresh pork is
cubed and then browned in oil along with the fresh onion and garlic.
(real  home made lard was used instead of oil, it was the way their
grandma had taught them to make green chile, and it did taste better!)
In the quick version the pork is grilled before adding to the stew.
It reduces the pork fat in final product and eliminates having to
clean up the raw pork mess in the kitchen.  The quick version also
uses dried onion flakes and garlic powder.  One final note, using
chicken broth instead of water really enhances the stew.  The green
chile is great for smothering burritos or just eating by the bowl as
stew.  The stew freezes well, and the quantities below yield plenty
for the freezer so you can get an instant fix when the urge for green
chile hits.

Green Chile Stew

16 C. Water (chicken broth is better)

6 to 8 C. Chopped Green Chile (charred skins removed)

1 C. dried onion flakes  (or 4 C. chopped fresh onion)

2 C. Chopped Tomatoes

5 tsp. Salt

3 tsp. garlic powder  (or 10 cloves fresh garlic )

0.125 tsp. **Mexican** Oregano

2 lbs. Pork Loin  (any cut will do, loin minimizes trimming time)

6 TBS. Oil  (or lard)

1 C. White Flour

Combine the water (or chicken broth)  green chile, onions, and garlic.
Simmer for a couple of hours.  Meanwhile grill the pork on the grill.
(Note:  Do not smoke the pork, the smoke flavor will overwhelm the
dish.  You can also cube the pork first and brown in oil, if so do the
onion and garlic also.)  Cube the grilled pork in 1/2" cubes, add to
the stew and simmer another hour.  When the stew is finished simmering
it needs to be thickened.  In a
separate pot, heat the flour and oil for a few minutes (like you are
making a roux).  Add 2 cups of the broth from the stew to the flour
and oil and whisk into a paste.  Add the whisked mixture to the stew
to thicken.  (Another variation is to whisk the entire pot of stew for
several minutes after adding the flour thickener.  This breaks up the
pork cubes and green chile chunks and produces a very smooth creamy
texture.)  Bring back to a simmer and it's done.  Eat like a stew with
tortillas or smother burritos, eggs, beans with lots of it.  Makes a
great salad dressing if you got the "green chile thing" like I do.

Phil Cody

http://www.mindspring.com/~wpcody/chile/default.htm

http://www.mindspring.com/~wpcody/tiedye/tiedye.htm