[CH] Japanese vs. chiles?

Shantihhh@aol.com
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:42:49 EST

From: Charles Demas <demas@sunspot.tiac.net>

Subject: Spicy Japanese Food???

Well, we've had several Japanese students with us over the last 10 years.
Most grow to love chiles.  Here at our house it's learn to love'em or starve!

Our student of the past few months tells me her grandfather loves Chiles and
hot food and eats them regularily.  She says many Japanese love chiles and
some don't---just like some love wasabi and others don't.  She certainly has
become a real Chilehead---well compared to when she arrived.

 There is a Japanese Curry (packet by S & B) that all the girls love to make.
It is quite watery and uses veggies and a little meat, BUT there is a HOT one
as well as the Mild and Medium that even our local Safeway carries.

 There are several Japanese Hot Chiles that are popular (Fushimi-mild,
Gekikara-hot cayenne type, Masuto-med. hot, Namban-hot, Nikkoh-hot, Santaka,
Shishito-hot, and Yatsafusa-quite hot).  Many dried Japones are Japanese hot
chiles from Japan.  Also many Japanese eat Kimchee.

Probably didn't answer your question.  So I'll explain a little further some
customs.

Chin-chin, which is probably not the proper toast to use when in Japan.*

*Our daughter was attending school in Toulouse, France and was home for the
holidays.  She brought home a lovely Magnum of Champagne and proceeded to pour
glasses full and we all raised our glasses with the usual family toast Chin-
Chin.  Our dear student from Japan at the time who was a family member having
spent a couple of years with us---gasped, covered her mouth and whispered to
our daughter, "Anne-Marie?  What did you say????"  Anne-Marie repeated chin-
chin, hummmm, Reiko whispered to AM ---in Japanese that is the word for a
man's you know what as she quickly pointed at her crotch.  We all looked side-
ways--opps.  Reiko lifted her glass high chin-chin I drink to that.

No the stories not over.  So each of our students were initiated to the toast
after that gales of laughter.  But the ultimate was the toast and the reaction
of the Japanese student living with our son and his wife a couple of years
ago. The usual toast of chin-chin by our son and our student Keisuke to all
the others.  The student living with our son and daughter in law looked down
quickly and said  "Oh, mine very little!!!!".  Well every one in the kitchen
fled from the room laughing their a***s off.

So what was the question?

Mary-Anne