Re: [CH] crawfish?

Harry Jones (hajones@swbell.net)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:07:22 -0600

Here's some recipes I have containing crawfish, another idea is just boil
'em with the proper seasonings.

 Royal Seafood

  1-1/2    tablespoons          vegetable oil
  1        teaspoon             garlic; chopped
  2        ounces               canned abalone mushrooms; (or substitute
shiitakes)
  1        leaf                 napa cabbage; cut in squares
  4-1/2    ounces               cabbage; cut in pieces
  7        pieces               baby corn
  4        tablespoons          cauliflower florets
  5 to 7   pods                 snow peas
  1/2                           carrot; cut in diagonal slices
  5 to 5                        broccoli florets
  1        teaspoon             paprika
  1        teaspoon             sugar
  1        teaspoon             Thai pepper; (for medium hot)
  1        tablespoon           oyster sauce
  1        tablespoon           fish sauce; (nam pla)
  1-1/2    tablespoons          Thai shrimp paste in soybean oil
  3        tablespoons          cashews
  1                             chicken broth
  6                             shrimp; (21-25 count)
  5                             scallops; each cut in 2 slices
  15                            crawfish tails; (meat only)
                                steamed rice; for 2

 Heat wok or large skillet. Heat oil and saute garlic 30 seconds. Add
 mushrooms, napa cabbage, cabbage, corn, cauliflower, snow peas, carrot,
 broccoli, paprika, sugar, Thai pepper, oyster sauce, fish sauce, shrimp
 paste, cashews, chicken broth as needed (as much as 1-1/2 cups), shrimp,
 scallops and crawfish. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender and seafood
 is done (shrimp should just turn pink). Serve with steamed rice.

**************************************

 Pappadaux Crawfish Bisque

  3        tablespoon           olive oil
  3        pounds               crawfish; remove tails save shells
  1        teaspoon             paprika
  1/8      teaspoon             cayenne pepper
  6        cups                 water
  1/2      cup each             onion and bell pepper; chopped
  1        tablespoon           tomato paste
  3        cups                 whipping cream
  1/2      cup                  tomato; chopped
  4        ounces               butter; 1 stick
  1        cup                  all purpose flour
  2        ounces               brandy

 Heat oil in saucepan. Saute crawfish shells, paprika and cayenne 5 minutes
 in oil. Add water; bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes.

 Strain liquid into another pan. Crush shells remove remaining liquid.
 Strain remaining liquid into first mixture. Discard shells. Return to heat
 and add  onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, cream and tomato.

 In small pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2
 minutes. Do not let roux darken. Add roux to main pot and whip until
 thoroughly combined. Simmer 40 minutes, stirring frequently. Add brandy and
  crawfish tails; simmer 10 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.

******************************

 Crawfish Cakes With Chipotle Tartar Sauce

                                ----Tartar Sauce----
  2                             dried chipotle peppers
  1/2      cup                  prepared mayonnaise
  1        tablespoon           green onions; chopped
  1                             juice of 1 lemon
  1                             salt
  1                             pepper
                                ----Crawfish Cakes----
  2        tablespoons          oil
  1        teaspoon             oil
  1        cup                  crawfish tails; shelled
  2        tablespoons          onion; chopped
  2        tablespoons          red pepper; chopped
  2        tablespoons          celery; chopped
  1/2      teaspoon             garlic; chopped
  1                             Creole spice
  1                             egg
  1/2      cup                  bread crumbs
  1                             parsley; chopped, for garnish

 Make tartar sauce:

 In a cast-iron skillet over high heat pan roast peppers, toasting them on
 all sides, until smoky and slightly charred. Chop finely. In a small bowl
 combine with remaining sauce ingredients. Adjust seasonings, to taste, with
  salt and pepper.

 In a saute pan heat 1 teaspoon oil, add chopped onion, red pepper and
 celery, and toss and cook 2 minutes until tender. Remove pan from heat and
 add garlic, crawfish meat, and 1 teaspoon Creole spice or to taste.
 Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool. Mix in egg and enough
 bread crumbs for mixture to bind; adjust seasonings to taste with salt,
 pepper and Creole spice. Form into 4 equal patties and flatten to 3/4-inch
 thick. Heat remaining oil in a saute pan and cook cakes on both sides until
  brown and crispy. Serve garnished with parsley and a dollop of tartar
 sauce.

********************

 Andouille Cheese Grits With Crawfish Sauce

  1/2      pound                andouille sausage; chopped
  4 1/2    pounds               whole milk
  1 1/2    teaspoons            salt
  1/4      teaspoon             cayenne pepper
  1        tablespoon           butter
  2        cups                 quick white grits
  1        cup                  white cheddar cheese; grated
  1        cup                  flour
  1        cup                  bread crumbs
                                Essence
  2                             eggs; beaten with 1 tablespoon
  1/4      cup                  olive oil
  1        tablespoon           olive oil
  12       cups                 yellow onions; minced
  1        tablespoon           garlic; chopped
  1        pound                Louisiana crawfish tails; (NO CHINESE
CRAWFISH)
  1        cup                  heavy cream
  1        dash                 Crystal hot sauce
  1        dash                 Worcestershire sauce
  1/4      cup                  green onions; chopped (green part only)
  2        ounces               Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

 Render the sausage in a saucepan, over medium-high heat, cooking about 4
 minutes. Add the milk, salt, cayenne, and butter and bring to a boil. Stir
 in the grits and reduce the heat to medium. Stir for 30 seconds, then add
 the cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5
 minutes, or until the grits are tender and creamy. Pour the grits into a
 greased square glass pan. Refrigerate until the grits are firm. Using a
 2-inch round cutter, cut the grits into six rounds. Season the flour and
 bread crumbs with Essence. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour. Dip each
  cake in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the cakes in the
  seasoned bread crumbs, coating each cake completely. Heat 1/4 cup of the
 olive oil in a large skiller. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the cakes for 3
 minutes on each side. In saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the
 oil is hot, add the onions. Season the onions with Essence. Saute for 1
 minute. Add the garlic and crawfish tails. Season with Essence. Saute for 1
  minute. Add the cream and bring up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook
 for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cream has thickened. Season the sauce with
  hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in the green onions
  and cheese. To serve, spoon the crawfish sauce over the Andouille grit
 cakes.