Re: [CH] Mexican Oregano vs Med oregano

coyote (coyote@calweb.com)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:54:52 -0800

Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

>   Oregano is that wonderful
> fragrant herb used in Greek food  and in Herbs de Provence as well.  Infact, I
> prefer the pungent and distinctive Greek Oregano if you can find it.  I recall
> Shepherd's has it.  The Mexican variety has a greener flavor and is less
> refined in my opinion..
>
> Mary-Anne

Which is why I prefer using it in chili con carne and in making pico... one needs
a flavor that can stand up or at least not get run over by the chiles. I prefer
the Mex oregano over the Med version in almost all the chile laden dishes I
make...maybe i just use too much chiles, but subtle things do not work when  I
cooking for myself ('cause that is the only time I can really "kick it up a
notch").

Coyote
Howlin' for Habaneros