Re: [CH] Immunity.

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:03:35 -0500

At 05:08 AM 2/13/99 -0800, Clyde A Dodge wrote:
>     I believe the use of the word immunity or immunize with respect to
>the effect of reduced pain from capsaisin is incorrect. Immunity is
>defined as the freedom from some disease or something unpleasant, such as
>a legal obligation. Since capsaisin is not a threat to bodily health,
>such as small-pox or infantile paralysis, it would seem that a better
>choice of words would be insensitivity or to insensitize.  Just my 2
>cents worth.
>     It might be interesting to learn if this insensitivity is permanent
>or if it wears off after a period of disuse.  But it may be wrong to ask
>Chile-Heads about that as they would never experince a period of disuse.
> <bwg>

I've always referred to it as a resistance, as in any type of resistance to
a biologically active substance.  Most any type of chemical that has the
ability to affect the body seems to be subject to a build up of resistance
to those effects.  From mind altering substances such as alcohol and other
drugs to medications, it seems that after a period of steady use, the
amount needed to achieve a similar effect seems to increase.

This effect on capsaicin follows a similar pattern.  I try to explain to
non CHers that it is not the case that those of us who like to eat lots of
hot foods do not build a higher tolerance for pain, but actually don't
percieve the heat nearly as much as those who have not developed a
resistance to capsaicin.

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @