Re: [CH] Hi, Newbie Here

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:16:33 RSA-2

>Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:01:34 +0000
>From: Jim Campbell <jim@wildpepper.com>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Hi, Newbie Here

> .....  Full hot
> sun, especially when combined with high air temps and
> humidity, will cause leaf and blossum drop.  Your plants will
> also appear very wilted.

[snip]

There I would agree as this years experience has shown me.
Orange and red habaneros and scotch bonnets planted in the full
African sun show signs of distress in the leaves (wrinkled and
curled) very soon after planting.  The leaves get progressively
smaller as the plant attempts to adjust for sunlight.  The
fruit is also smaller but way hotter.  Many fruit drop before
reaching maturity.

High temps and humidity are a fact of summer life here.  Thanks
for pointing this out Jim.  Although I had seen the symptoms and
suspected it was to much sun the penny had not dropped.

What are the suggestions for these areas as they are to
difficult to shade.  Birdseye type C. frutescens?  Need an army
of pickers ;-) but would seem more suitable.

How do the C. baccatums do in full sun with temps up to 40+
degrees C?

Cheers
Peter

-----------------Original message not included--------------

-- Peter Moss

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'". - Bruce Perens