[CH] Re: Att. David Drum

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:51:39 -0600

"Berlandier, Francoise" wrote:

> Since then I have indeed found out why the garlic turns blue (it happened to
> me when I made pickled eggplant with fresh garlic, added the salt then the
> vinegar but not the oil until some hours later), apparently the ph level
> changes and anthocyanin pigments in the garlic reflect this by turning a
> blue-green colour - this web address explains it - think back to high school
> chemistry! Some garlic is not affected this way, as you found, it depends on
> the temperature it is stored at.
>
> http://www.farmshow.net/chat/recipe/messages/208.html
>
> Francoise

OK, now that makes sense. I haven't added any oil. But, the salt and
cider vinegar would certainly change the PH levels. I dunno about the
temperature of the garlic storage. It was from the same three heads of
giant garlic (not elephant) from a reliable grocer who hauls his own
produce from suppliers he has dealt with (or his family has) since
before WWII.

Next time I think I'll make a mash by rehydrating the peppers in the
vinegar and then whirling them in the Waring along with the garlic.
The flavour and heat levels I have now is reminiscent of Tuong Ot An
Pho Sriracha (Golden Bells not Rooster) without the underlying
sweetness. I quite like it.

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider