Re: [CH]VINDALOO Cardamon

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:03:50 +1100

At 8:34 AM -0800 21/2/99, Brent Thompson wrote:
>> you might be able to grow Cardamon if your climate is warm enough
>> the leaves have a delightful fragrance
>
>I have two separately acquired specimens of "cardamom" plant; both are
>identical and have a delightful fragrance to the leaves, just as you
>describe.  So, I made a particular point to check the cardamom plants on
>the cardamom plantation I visited last year in Kerala, south India (where
>as far as I know most of the world's production of cardamom occurs).  Those
>commercial cardamom plants have absolutely no fragrance in their leaves,
>yet I can assure you the cardamoms they produce are inarguably top quality
>and rich with the appropriate aroma.  In conclusion, I have no confidence
>the aromatic plants I was sold are true cardamom.

Interesting  Brent
naming stuff in the ginger fanmily is fraught though. there might be more
than one?
OK looked it up
Notes from Economic products of malay Peninsular:
Amonum lots of them including A subulatum and aromaticum fragrant oil from
leaves and stems of some
botany confused  java malaysia different
there you are both may be cardamom?!
Life is too short.

Michael Bailes.
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
Chilli Festival 1999
At TFG: 5, 6, 7 March  see  http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/chillifestival/