RE: [CH] This is the CHILE-PEPPER news right ?

Goslowsky, George (gjgoslow@ingr.com)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:20:06 -0600

Staggering out of the depths of lurkerdom, dragging my knuckles the entire
way, I decide to speak up about this issue.  My opinions are my own and mine
alone.  And they carry only the weight of my conviction.

I have been a member of this list for many years and have come to know quite
a few of you.  Well enough to consider you friends and not merely
acquaintances.  And as friends are wont to do, we discuss things that are
important to us, but are not necessarily those things that brought us
together in the first place.  To me, with friends, you can feel comfortable
to approach other topics.  If we spoke only of El Grande's blessed children,
then this list would be a very sterile place.  I can read any of a number of
books I own about chiles and get the same or similar info that I get here,
but it would lack the personality.

To me, I trust the people of this list more than I do, say, someone from the
CDC to answers any questions I might have about botulism, for instance.  The
participants in this list have proven to me, repeatedly, that the knowledge
base that they represent is both extensive and accurate.  Because these
people are my friends I am more than willing to extend to them a lot of
slack about off-topic threads, echoing the entire original message in a
reply or even the dreaded "Me too." messages.

For me, a moderator such as is being proposed, would do something to this
list like what has happened to Chile Pepper magazine.  It would change from
a homey, comfortable, enjoyable and accurate list to a sterile and accurate
list.  No thank you.

George J. Goslowsky
Monk of the TCS
Holder of Fire

You and I, we reject these narrow attitudes
We add to each other, like a coral reef
Building bridges on the ocean floor
Reaching for the alien shore