RE: [CH] This is the CHILE-PEPPER news right ?

Jacqueline Groot (JacquelineG@em.cortland.edu)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:18:57 -0500

Well said, George.  As another long-timer, I sometimes feel like the
conversations on this list resemble those of a group of people cooking in
the kitchen together.  Sometimes we stray to related topics (you have to
stop for a beer once in a while during the cooking process!), but they are
usually relevant in some way.  And the meal still gets prepared...it's just
more fun getting it done.

Someone posted an interesting green chile stew variation, and I varied it
more.  Sorry I don't have the name of the original poster.  Here's what I
did:

2# ground venison
a few tablespoons oil
2 cans white shoepeg corn (with liquid)
4 cans (4 oz) hot green chiles (with liquid)
2 cans diced tomatoes (with liquid)
1 large can paste
1 large onion
5 or so cloves of garlic, pressed
salt & pepper to taste
shredded cheese
sour cream
your favorite hot sauce (i.e. El Yucateco Red)

Brown venison and onion in oil in a heavy pot.  Add garlic a minute or two
before it's done.  Then, add the rest if the ingredients and a few cups of
water.  Bring to simmer and add paste.  Adjust water/paste combination to
your liking.  Cook for about an hour.  Serve with shredded cheese, sour
cream, and your favorite hot sauce.  A nice way to use ground venison,
especially when your honey and his father fill their tags.