Re: [CH] ostrich sausage

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:21:16 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

> Ostrich Sausage
>
>      5 feet small hog casings
>      4 pounds Ostrich meat
>      2 tsp. salt
>      1 tsp. freshly ground white pepper * plus cayenne or Hab powder to kick
>             it up a little
>      1 tsp. celery seed
>      1/2 tsp. powdered bay leaf
>      2 tsp. lemon zest
>      2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
>      1/8 tsp. ground cloves
>      1/4 cup wild turkey bourbon (optional)
>
> Prepare casings. Mix and grind the ingredients through fine disk and
> stuff into casings. Twist off into 3 inch links. Simmer or cook
> by browning in vegetable oil.

IIRC, Ostrich is a fairly lean (low fat) meat, and I worry that this
recipe will not work out very well as sausage in the traditional sense.

Most sausages have a fairly high fat content that keeps them somewhat
tender when cooked.  These may turn very hard when cooked, especially
if over cooked.

Just an opinion, from a person that has never made sausage, but has
eaten too many.  These lowfat meats must not be over cooked from what
I've read.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas