Re: [CH] Chipotles and Datil question....

jim wolfe (yoda@clark.net)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:35:04 -0500

Phil Cody is rumored to have wrote:

> Probably the best point of reference for fresh Datils would
> be another chinense variety and  a favorite of many
> CHs.....the Hab.  Datils have a unique fruity aroma and
> taste that is similar to a Hab, but they are not as hot.

Careful here - I and several on my friends around here think that the
Datil is hotter.
Local conditions seem to have a large effect on the heat of chiles, and
in Baltimore, MD
the Datils sure seem hotter than the Habs.

> The can be used in all the ways you would normally use fresh
> Habs, salsas, stir fry, sauces, etc.  They dry quicker than
> Habs because the pods have thinner walls and they make good
> powder.

They dry very well.
Tonight's dinner was braised cabbage with fake smoked sausage
liberally spiced with home made Datil and Serrano powder.

--
Jim W		My opinions are just that; not my employer's or my wife's!
!! Do not assume that your freedoms are assured !! The truth is out