Re: [CH] USDA?

Bob Batson (bob@sky.net)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:32:02 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 BeBonsai@aol.com wrote:

> I'm confused. What is The National Plant Germplasm System? Forgive my
> ignorance, but I am really new here.

                        AND

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Rain wrote:

> -> Goto http://www-ars-grin.gov/npgs/  This page is for the National Plant
> -> Germplasm System and has links to all necessary information on obtaining
>
> Sorry, I have no Web access.  How else can I reach them?

The web address should be www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/

The National Plant Germplasm System (or NPGS) is just onre the many
different parts of the USDA. The NPGS "is a cooperative effort by public
(State and Federal) and private organizations to preserve the genetic
diversity of plants." It does this by "acquiring crop germplasm,
preserving crop germplasm, evaluating crop germplasm, documenting crop
germplasm, and distributing crop germplasm." I personally have only
vegetable, fruit, and nut crops in the NPGS. I don't know if ornamental
plants are also preserved by the NPGS.

To locate any desired plant, you make use of the Germplasm Resources
Information Network (GRIN). GRIN is a very easy-to-use database manager
that allows searches of the NPGS database of plants. "There are more
than 450,000 accessions (distinct varieties of plants) in the GRIN
database", so following a copy of the search page (called Accession Area
Queries):

Simple queries

   Use this option to search for a single cultivar, PI number, scientific
   name or other identifier.

   Accession identifier: ______________________________ Submit Request

Complex queries

   Use this option to restrict the query by more than one criteria.

  Accession identifier(s):

   Individual PI identifier or range of identifiers:
          PI ________ to PI ________ (e.g., 500000 to 500010)

   Non-PI identifier or range of identifiers:
          [A1..] ________ to ________ (e.g., NSGC 4000 to 4015)

   Submit Request or choose other criteria.

  Other identifiers and names:

   Other type of identifier: _________________________
          Pedigree contains: _________________________
          Submit Request or choose other criteria.

  Taxonomy:

   To limit your search, enter information into one of the fields below:
          Taxon: _________________________ (e.g., Zea or Zea mays)
          Family: _________________________ (e.g., Poaceae)
          Common name: _________________________ (e.g., Peanut)
          Submit Request or choose other criteria.

  Location:

   Country: ____________________
          State: ____________________
          (Please use full state name)

  Additional Criteria:

   Choose a repository to limit your request to:
          [ALL - All Repositories.......................]

   Choose a type of Improvement Status:
          [Any Status..................]

   Choose a type of Reproductive uniformity:
          [Any Status......]

   Check one to limit your selection(s).
          (_) Any time
          (_) Last 3 months
          (_) Last 6 months
          (_) Current year
          (_) Previous [1.] year(s)
          (_) Specific year, enter year: ____ (e.g., 1965)

   Check the box to sort accessions by scientific name and plant name
          (cultivar, donor identifier, etc.) instead of by accession
          identifier.
          [_] Taxonomic sort.

   Check the box to include historical records.
          [_] Search both active collections and historical records.

   Choose the number of hits to select: [10...]

   Submit Request Clear Form

PI stands for Plant Identification. Eacxh seperate plant accession is
assigned a unique PI number.

                              Ordering Germplasm

   Germplasm is available in small quantities for research purposes. To
   order material:

    1. If you are from a foreign country, refer to this information
       first. [This is a LINK to seperate information]
    2. From inside or outside the U.S., do one of the following:
          + Fill out the Request Form
          + Send e-mail to the maintenance site of the accession (found
            with accession query) or to the National Germplasm Resources
            Laboratory (orders@ars-grin.gov).
            Please provide the following information:
               o Your name,
               o Organization,
               o Address,
               o Phone number,
               o Special handling instructions, and
               o Accession identifiers desired (use a separate line for
                 each identifier).

                       Germplasm or Information Request

   First Name: ______________________________
   Last Name: ________________________________________

   Address: __________________________________________________
   Address: __________________________________________________
   Address: __________________________________________________

   City: ____________________
   State: ____________________
   Zip Code: __________
   Country (if not USA): ______________________________

   Phone: ______________________________
   FAX: ______________________________
   EMail: ________________________________________

   Special instructions:

   Items to order (one item per line):

   Intended Use of Material:

   Choose repository to submit order to:
   [PEO  - Plant Exchange Office....................]

   [_] Click here to send a carbon-copy of your order to your email
   address (as specified above).

   Submit Order
   Clear Form

Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
bob@sky.net                             Kansas City
TCS - Mystic Fire Priest                USDA zone 5b
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.