Re: [CH] pepper sauces

Andy Barnhart (quark@erols.com)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:39:54 -0500

Kristofer Blennow wrote:

> On 28 Feb 99, Andy Barnhart wrote:
> > I like to add heat  -- without altering
> > the flavor of a good soup.  Now, I use a diluted mix of PurCap.
> Hmmm... tell me, what is PurCap? My first homebrewn chile sauce have
> that non-taste-altering thing... just adds a bit of heat, and tends
> to enhance the flavours.
> Kristofer

Kristopher,

 "Pure Cap" is a registered trademark Garden Row Foods, Elmwood Park,
Illinois. (Standard disclaimers).   Is is a EXTREMELY POTENT mix of vegetable
oil and capsaicin.   The lable claims a Scoville rating of 500,000, but my own
experience is that it is much higher, perhaps 2,000,000.  Those stores that
carry it may not sell it to you unless they know you and/or you sign a
understanding and waiver form.

It comes with "Dangerously HOT" and other warnings on the label,  which are
very well deserved.   It is too concentrated for me to use directly for
personal use.  The label also says "refrigerate after opening".  This
combination presents a problem, for example, at work, where I would like to
put some in my lunch-time soup.

My solution:

1)  Obtain a high-quality, plastic, eye-dropper bottle.  *Be sure it doesn't
leak* (Test it:  fill with water and squeeze the hell out of it.)

2)  Put in 1 part Pure Cap to 3 parts Grain Alcohol (95% ethyl alcohol).
     (Don't attempt to to use water a diluter.)

I keep it in my office, carry it in my pocket to the resturant.  Most (but not
all) people can tolerate one drop in a cup of soup.  My normal mood is 3-6
drops.  *Extreme* is 9 drops.   -- you see why dilution and physical security
is important.

Be sure to stir the soup!  I once forgot and got a rude surprise.  If you get
any on your hands  -- be sure NOT to touch your eyes or forhead before washing
with soap and water.

If you like tempura try this dipping sauce:  soy sauce, wasabi, and the
PureCap mix.  Think of a culinary double-barreled shotgun.

Andy.