[CH] Brags

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 08:45:01 -0600

Hi C-H's,
Deb wrote from HousTex:
>.......Doug in BC's recipes. .........I had read your suggestion
> of seasoning steamed cauliflower with
>salt, pepper, Calvin's and turmeric but originally thought,
> "Cauliflower and turmeric?"

Cauliflower is rarely served in restaurants as it is difficult to keep warm
without spoiling the flavour, and also because the florets, if damaged,
don't look very appetising. Nonetheless, it makes an excellent veg. for
home produced dishes. Plain steamed (don't boil it if you can avoid it)
caulli topped with cheese sauce is often a favourite with kids. Lot's of
black pepper of course. If you like Indian food, try frying onions and
garlic in (mustard?) oil, add some veg. stock ("Knorr" veg cubes are OK at
a pinch; or chicken if you're not a veggie) mixed with your spice mixture
of choice *, and a medley of your favourite vegetables added in the order
of their required simmering time. I might choose carrots, potatoes, big
green beans, peppers and tomatoes. Tinned is OK. Last place the cut up
cauliflower florets on top, liberally squeeze on lemon juice, and cook for
about 10 mins with the lid on. Cool and leave till next day to be reheated
and eaten. (Or reheaten and eated?) Sodium chloride is essential. If you do
a good chopping job, this can be a great looking and tasting veg. dish at a
dinner party. I think it would look OK next to one of Doug's convection
oven baked annointed chickens!

* Don't go nuts with aromatics or you'll kill the flavour of the veg.
Cumin, coriander, cayenne and turmeric would be fine. A few "curry" leaves
wouldn't hurt either.

Friday, and only a month to clock moving.
Party on.
                     Regards,               Cameron.