Re: [CH] speaking of cauliflower

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:23:35 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, John Shivers wrote:

> You have ghii  as  an ingredient and offer butter as a substitute. I'm
> not sure that's a good idea. My understanding is that Ghee (the spelling
> I've seen) is only the milk solids and have a much higher burn
> temperature. I'm not sure you can get butter hot enough for most of its
> uses in Eastern cooking with out burning it - which gives a very bitter
> flavor.  - Signe Shivers

This isn't quite correct.  You can make your own ghee.

Here's what the Epicurious Dictionary says:
http://www.epicurious.com/db/dictionary/terms/indexes/dictionary.html

|ghee
|
|ghee [GEE] Butter that has been slowly melted, thereby separating the
|milk solids (which sink to the bottom of the pan) from the golden
|liquid on the surface. This form of CLARIFIED BUTTER is taken a step
|further by simmering it until all of the moisture evaporates and the
|milk solids begin to brown, giving the resulting butter a nutty,
|caramellike flavor and aroma. This extra step also gives ghee a longer
|life and much higher SMOKE POINT than regular clarified butter.
|Because the smoke point is raised to almost 375°F, ghee is practical
|for a variety of sautéing and frying uses. Although it originated in
|India, the best commercially available ghee comes from Holland,
|followed closely by products from Scandinavia and Australia. It's
|quite expensive, but can be purchased in Middle Eastern, Indian and
|some gourmet markets. Whereas ghee was once made only with butter
|derived from water buffalo milk, today it can be made with any
|unsalted butter. Making it at home is not a difficult task, and
|flavored ghees are created by simply adding ingredients such as
|ginger, peppercorns or cumin at the beginning of the clarifying
|process. Tightly wrapped ghee can be refrigerated for up to 6 months
|and frozen up to a year.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas