[CH] Cascabel Cherry sauce

Michael Bowers (bowers@elsie.ucdavis.edu)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:23:34 PST

>  Just got back from Mexico where I ran into a sauce that's served over
>shrimp.   Learned that it contained Cascabel chilies and cherries, dunno
>what else.  Wondering if anyone knows this sauce and or has a recipe.
>Love the taste of the Cascabel.

	prbably similar to this one
http://neptune.netimages.com/~chile/recipes.html

http://neptune.netimages.com/~chile/recipe/cherry_cascabel_chile_sauce.rcp

Cherry Cascabel Chile Sauce

        1 oz cascabel chile peppers, stemmed, seeded, or use
          mirasol or guajillo
        6 oz dried cherries, stemmed, seeded
        1 lemon, juiced
        1 orange, juiced
        1 Tbs honey
        1/2 C water

        Put everything in a pan, bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
        Cook for 10 min, or until reduced by 1/2.  Remove from heat,
        let cool slightly, then puree in a blender or food processor.
        Strain thru sieve, reheat over low heat before serving.
        Makes about 1 cup.

I served this over poached salmon which turned out pretty well: I
poached the salmon in water with one each lemon, lime and orange halved
and added when boiling, then add the salmon and cook until just done.

Mike