[CH] Smoking chiles, cross pollination, many cultivars, etc.

Art Pierce (pierces@cruzio.com)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 07:11:35 -0800

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:12:05 -0800
From: "Harold Eddleman Ph.D." <indbio@disknet.com>
Subject: [CH] Smoked Chili

I just joined this list.
  I am a plant breeder working with corn, strawberries, and thornless
blackberry. I also work with plant viruses.
  How does one avoid cross pollination when growing several cultivars of

peppers? My method for corn was to use pooled pollen off other plants of

the same line. Are peppers normally self pollinated?

I've heard bees do it. Also, hear that they don't fly more than 3 miles
from
their hive. This would mean you need to have 6 miles of separation
between
different cultivars of chiles. Necessary for breeders of PVP seeds,
impractical for most others. Ask more about this of your fellow
Indianan,
Jim Campbell, at http://wildpepper.com/
[More CHer home pages at:
http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/chileheads.html ]

  I am impressed with the many cultivars of peppers

[Please see
http://www.amseed.com/newsletter/nl1098.html
http://www.amseed.com/aglinks.html
http://www.ars-grin.gov/ars/NoPlains/FtCollins/nsslmain.html
http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desclist.pl?116 ]

as I have had a long
time interest in the origin of food crops. I can trade a vine cutting of

my virus-free Beauregard sweet potato for three or more seeds of each of

3 or more different peppers. I would like to have a demo plot of various

peppers. Actually, I like the sweet (not fiery) peppers best and would
like seed of those types even more. Please e-mail me first to reduce
duplication.
  I will send the sweet potato vine cutting in a first class envelope.
  I work with plant viruses. This clone of Beauregard is virus free and
of outstanding conformation and production. In field tests by North
Carolina State University this clone produced 3 times as many #1 roots
as the best NC Certified plants. I will eventually get all this on my
web site. Those studies were repeated 4 years.
  Farmers get about one bushel per vine cutting purchased from me. They
cut some of the early vines and plant them. One does not want roots on
sweet potato plants. See my webpages someday for the disease control
reasons.
  I am not familiar with smoking Chili; is it for flavor only or a
method of preservation for winter.

Both. Salt, peppers, vinegar, and smoke were four of the
preservation methods prior to more universally available refrigeration.

I have lots of experience curing and
smoking hams. It chili smoking done similarly. Does the smoking reduce
the hot bite?

The hotter the temperature you smoke them at, the less flavor and fewer
retained capsaicinoids at the end.

- --
Harold Eddleman Ph.D. Microbiologist.       mailto:indbio@disknet.com
Location: Palmyra IN USA; 36 kilometers west of Louisville, Kentucky
http://www.disknet.com/indiana_biolab = Agriculture, science projects
and info for amateurs, gardeners, farmers, teachers, kids
http://wwbbs.otherside.com/PUBLIC/HOMEPAGE/haroldeddleman_303/INDEX.HTM
  Home Science Projects: fun for parent and child, Computer programs
http://ibl.webjump.com/ger.htm <== Simple german for beginners.