Re: [CH] fert

Rosemary Basil (rosemarybasil@yahoo.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:26:10 -0800 (PST)

Byron wrote:
<<Personaly I think that anyone recommending 15-30-15 or 20-20-20 to
a newbie to grow peppers with, is recieving extra funds from ScottsEG
Kick backs>>

Byron, I just want to say Miracle Grow has worked very well for me as
a home container gardener and I am not receiving a kick back. But I
also want to say, I use other amendments to my soil and am not
religious about applying it. As a matter of fact, I've been using
eggshells and coffee grounds (the latter rich in nitrogen I hear) and
with no adverse affects, maybe the banana leaves I fold in have
something to do with it. I get a great yield and have strong hardy
plants.
I also use fish emulsion and who knows how much pigeon s--- falls into
them?
I agree that high nitrogen tends to produce more foliage than blossoms
but perhaps my gardening in containers requires this.
I also agree that peppers like abuse and stress. It seems when I
neglect them most they flourish. Kind of like kids, pamper em when
they're babies and let em bloom when they are teens for the best
relationship!
I think there are so many variables such as climates and your soil
composition, it really must be a trial and error thang that varies
from plant to plant, garden to garden and personality to personality!
This discussion reminds me of the vitamin debate. :)
Thanx for your sage advice I enjoy it!
Rose

---"Byron.Bromley" <Byron.Bromley@Gsd-Co.Com> wrote:

> Rob Johnston Jr., owner of Johnny's seeds, is frequent writer and
> consultant to Organic Gardening. Stokes Seeds has been selling
> seeds for 118 years. I would say a reputable source of info.
>
> In both of their catalogs in the growers guides they say for
> peppers LOW nitogren. Side dress once or twice per SEASON
> My County Agent says "Starve peppers"
>
> Lets take a look at Nitrogen level's, in my area, I can find
> a low of 1 and a high of 31, except some organic urea of 45.
> When I went to school, on a scale of 1 to 31, a 5 would be a low,
> a 15 would be a medium a 20 would be a medium high
> With a low of 1 and a high of 31 I would put Miracle Gro
> as a medium nitrogen level, not a low.
>
> Lets look at some of the problems.
>
> Pinetree Gardens advocates Miracale Gro, They say they get 10 habs
> per plant. ( I averaged of 40 in the worst growing season in 100
years)

> Ray Kaspro Uses a folar feed of 27-15-12, Has 4 1/2 ft Red Savina's
> with no fruit and 7ft Rocoto's with a few cool fruits
>
> A tomato grower I chatted with said he tried Miracale Gro on tomatoes
> by the instructions 100% every 2 weeks. Had 7ft Early Girls with 3
> small fruit per plant.
>
> I have chatted with about 20 others that have had similar problems
> There has to be something wrong.
>
> While I am at it for those that flame me for using mouthwash to
control
> bacterial infections, look at the last ingredient on a box of
Miracle Gro,
> Miracid and Fish emulsion. That ingredient is chlorine.
> (which by the way, I had 5 different "Master Gardeners" tell me I
could
> not use on plants)
>
> I have tried hi-Nitro's in my garden, I hate them. My personal
> opinion of Scotts fertilizers are to sell products, not to really
> grow veggie gardens with. If anyone on this list is interested I have
> a file with all the problems I have had with hi-nitrogen fertilizers.
> If anyone wants to read it give me a non-posted click. Because it
isn't
> chile's
>

> What is also forgotten is that the origin of peppers is from very poor
> soil.
>
> What I would like to ask you folks is to try a few plants this way
> Mix some epsom salts, 1 tbsp per gal of water
> At transplanting add 1/3 cup of 5-20-20 and 1 pint of epsom salts, and
> 1 tbsp of 0-20-0 super phosphate per plant
> At 1st fruit set repeat.
> Do not feed again for the rest of the season
>
> 5-20-20 is a granular fertilizer, here it $7 for 50lb
> Epsom salts at Walmart is $1.29
> My 0-20-0 cost $6.99 for 5 lb
> Why epsom salts ? Plants actually need a little more magnisium
> than potasium. So far I have not seen magnisium in any commercial
> fertilizer. RE Reader Digest "Organic Gardening "
>
> The best way to learn is to spend the "Tuition money" and
> do it yourself. I am only asking you to try it on 2 or 3 plants.
> Just do it with the same variety that you feed Miracle Gro to.
>
> At the end of your growing season, compare
> and get back to me with your results.
> Here is a few comparisons
> 1 Plant habit: Example a SB should be 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall
>    about the same diameter
>    Do your plants stand up straight ?
>    Excessive height is caused by excessive nitrogen
>    Weak stalk/stems are caused by excessive nitrogen
> 2. Blossom drop at temps above 50F and below 85F
>    Blossom drop in this range is excessive nitrogen
>     --Every blossom that drops is one less pod.--
> 3. Pods per plant IE SB and Habs should have between 40 to 60
>     pods per plant
>     Low pod count is caused by excessive nitrogen
> 4.  Pod heat, which pods are hotter ??
>     Low heat is caused by excessive nitrogen.
>
> Personaly I think that anyone recommending 15-30-15 or 20-20-20 to
> a newbie to grow peppers with, is recieving extra funds from Scotts
> EG Kick backs
>
> Byron

==
City Jungles...gardens of passion! CITY PEPPERS- grow em!
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/7686/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Square/9333/PEPPERS.html
Join PEPPERS Club & List!
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/PEPPERS