RE: [CH] transplant time

Michael Bowers (bowers@elsie.ucdavis.edu)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:47:12 PST

>Transplant time ASSUMES a 6 to 8 week old transplant.
>If the transplant is older, I can not find any data.
>--beeen lurking for that for a long time--
>
>I am trying to beat that with older tranplants, no significant data
>at this time. The only comment I have had is, older transplants
>are more susceptable to transplant shock.

	you need to step back and look at the whole idea behind starting plants
inside or in pots.  The weather outside is too cool/wet for optimal growth (or,
any growth, depending upon where you live). So, you create an "ideal"
environment for the seedling for germination and growth.  The idea here is to
slowly match (hardening off) your ideal environment w/the permanent growing
environment, all while keeping optimal growth of the seedlings.  If you were
never going to put the plants outside, you might still subject them to
transplant shock as you put them in larger containers, assuming you didn't
start them in their ultimate home.

	So, given the above, you need to keep the plants growing at the best
growth rate possible.  This means larger pots as the plant gets larger.  If
it's still too cool/wet out, you may need to move them up to new pots several
times.  For example, I usually start seeds in either starting trays (area about
the size of a quarter) or in 2x2 inch starter sets.  About the time the 2nd set
of permanent leaves appear, they outgrow the latter; at about 3 weeks they
outgrow the former.  I use a growing medium that will stick together well and
attempt to minimize root disturbance.  I transplant to 4x4" or so containers.
These are ok for another 3-4 weeks before the plants start getting rootbound.
If it's still too cold/wet, I may need to transplant up to larger size pots.  I
usually have a few in gallon pots to give away or such.  The big problem at
this point comes with having a large enough area with enough warmth and light.
(read greenhouse -- not yet, but...).  Or, I move them inside and outside twice
a day on sunny days, and make do with lights the rest of the time.

	You will still get a little shock, but careful transplanting will
minimize this.  And, you really need to wait until the ground temp is above 50F
at a minimum, 55F is better -- one way to tell is to sit on the ground; if it's
too cool/uncomfortable it's too cool for the plants.

Thanks
Mike