Re: [CH] Containers and Peppers

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:47:15 -0600

Rosemary-
In my experience, the average yield for powder is 10:1,  ten pounds of raw
peppers make 1 pound of powder.   This is modified slightly by the
thickness of the meat and the internal structure.  The Ajis and habs might
go 11:1, while the C. Pubescens might go 9:1.  I grind the seeds as well
and this also affects the yield a little, since seeds are less water than
the rest of the pod, and therefore lose less weight.  A large pod full of
seeds increases the yield slightly.  Sauces vary with the mix you choose.
You may get other opinions from the CHs group, many of whom really are
experts in the business and have done a lot more research.
Calvin