Re: [CH] Chile Oil

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:21:38 -0600

Celeste or Dave Anderson wrote:

> Since I have been a member of the group this subject has been
> mentioned several times. I think we can all agree that putting whole
> chiles in oil is an invitation to botulism, but  here's a new twist.

> I was watching "East Meets West", a cooking show hosted by Ming Tsai
> and he made chile oil by roasting chile powder in a heavy skillet to
> release the essential oils, letting it cool, and adding it to canola
> oil. I think he used a combination of Ancho and Thai chile powder,
> but imagine that any varieties would work.

> Since the chiles were dehydrated, then heated, maybe they are sterile
> to the point that nasty organisms have been eliminated. Have any of
> you tried doing this? I'm sorry, but I don't know the quantities of
> ingredients.

> The recipe might be posted at http://www.foodtv.com

Chilli oil is a common item in oriental grocery stores. Seems to be
based on soybeans oil (surprise, surprise) and is generally pretty hot
but without a lot of flavour of its own.

I just checked the Foodtv.com listings for Tsai's receipes... they
only keep receipes up for 14 days and it has apparently scrolled off.
However, they *do* repeat episondes so it may come back around.

I also checked with both Orientalfood.com and Epicurious.com under all
three spellings... chile, chili, and chilli. A number of receipes
popped up - some for making chilli oil, most for using
chilli/chili/chile oil. I'll post a few to the list after running them
through Meal Masher.

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider