[CH] Re: Chile oil

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:57:13 -0600

Doug Irvine wrote:

> Good evening(morning?) David....as I posted to Dave Anderson, we have
> been using this stuff for years, because of my Chinese(Asian) cooking,
> and we have found that it is hot, but because of the oil, which is soy
> oil, it does not have the greatest flavor by itself. However, when added
> to a dish, which is what it was meant to do, it does add, without
> detracting from the flavor of the dish, heat, from the chiles infused.
> This stuff was originally devised in Szechuan/Hunan/Yunnan provinces,
> because that is where the heat  in Chna is in the food.
> The hot oil is intended to be used last, like sesame oil, to impart
> flavor to the dish, and not for cooking, as in peanut oil.

I knew all that. I was going to go get the TV-Food Net receipe and
post it here for all to share. But, when it wasn't there I went haring
off to a couple other sites that have provided many receipes on arcane
stuff in the past. Here are a couple.....

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Sichuan Chilli Oil
 Categories: Oriental, Condiments, Chiles
      Yield: 1 Cup

      1 c  Vegetable oil
    1/4 c  Sichuan red peppercorns
      2 tb Crushed red chili peppers

  * Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the
    heat and stir Sichuan red peppercorns and crushed red chili
peppers.
    Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then take out the peppers.

  OrientalFood.com Recipe

  Format by Dave Drum - 20 March 99
  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Hot Chilli Sauce
 Categories: Oriental, Chiles, Condiments
      Yield: 1 servings

MMMMM-------------------------THE SAUCE------------------------------
      4 tb Light soy sauce
      3 tb Vinegar
      3 tb Sugar
      1 tb Wine
      1 tb Fermented glutenous rice

MMMMM-----------------------THE AROMATICS----------------------------
           Few huajiao (flower pepper -
           Pericarpium zanthoxyli)
           Seeds
      3 tb Dried chilies, diced
      1 tb Chopped onion
      2 tb Sliced ginger

MMMMM----------------------THICKENING AGENT---------------------------
           Cornstarch solution in small
           Amount of broth

  * Mix the sauce ingredients

  * In wok brown the huajiao seeds and diced dried chilies.

  * Add chopped onion and sliced ginger

  * Add the mixed sauce ingredients

  * Thicken to correct consistency with the cornstarch and broth
    solution

  OrientalFood.com Recipe

  Format by Dave Drum - 20 March 99
  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider