Re: [CH] Chile oil +

Steve (snearman@erols.com)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:06:11 -0500

Charles,

If your are concerned about botulism developing use the same garlic you cooked
in the oil. If you are paranoid about botulism developing don't use this recipe
or modify it to your liking. We have been making this hot oil for over 6 years
as per the recipe and no one has died or become sick to date. Never
refrigerated and have had bottles last over a year. The sprig of rosemary
should be dry not fresh.

As with any good common sense food safety, If in doubt -throw it out. As for my
recipe enjoy. Concerned over botulism developing, change the recipe to your
level of safety, refrigerate, etc.

Thanks for the warning,
Steve

>On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Steve wrote:
>
>> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>>  Uncle Steve's HOT Oil
>>
>> Recipe By:	Steve Nearman
>
>[bulk of recipe snipped]
>
>> For extra flavor and beauty add a clove or two of garlic (cut in half) and a
>> large sprig of rosemary into the bottle. (This acts as a reminder to help
>> identify what is in the bottle) Can be used immediately, but better after a
>>few
>> weeks. Refrigeration not required.
>
>This is a recipe for possible disaster.  Cooking the oil at sufficient
>temperature to drive out the water or kill the botulism spores would make
>the oil safe, but adding the garlic and rosmary at the end is just
>reintroducing the possibility of botulism developing.
>
>And then, you say refrigeration isn't requited!!!
>
>If you'd kept it well refrigerated, there is the chance that the spores
>wouldn't develop and create the toxin.  Leaving it at room temperature
>with fresh garlic in an anerobic condition is asking for trouble.
>

>> Check out our web site for other HOT recipes:
>> http://hotchiles.wildspices.com/
>>

>> 	----- Notes: This oil is a little different than store bought
>> hot oil. It has a lot of flavor! Store bought is used to add heat with
>> out disturbing the flavor of the dish to much.
>
>Yeah, this oil might kill you!
>
>> Serving Ideas: Drizzle over any potato or rice dish to add flavor &
>> heat.
>
>Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this oil recipe is VERY dangerous.
>
>I suggest you read something about botulism, and you take it off your
>website until you can post something that might not kill people.
>
>I've posted URLs for botulism information pages before.  They should be
>in the archives.
>

>Chuck Demas
>Needham, Mass.
>

>  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
>  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
>  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
>  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas

    Uncle Steve's HOT Stuff - Come play the "Chile Game"
             http://members.xoom.com/HotChiles/