Re: [CH] "Old Timers"

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:42:00 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 BeBonsai@aol.com wrote:

> A slightly off subject question, regarding this list. Is there a complete
> list of all chilihead subscribers available?
> Scotty McDonell

On most mailing lists there is a listserver command that will list all
subscribers.

On this list, and many others, the use of this command is restricted by
the listowner to allow only the listowner to be able to use that command.

This is usually done to prevent spammers from harvesting the addresses of
the list members.

1700 valid addresses would be a tasty treat for a harvester to sell to
specialty food companies, seed companies, or just spammers in general.

Yes, it prevents those with products to sell from soliciting the list
members, but I didn't sign up on this mailing list to be put on other
(spammer, advertizer, garden supply, etc.) mailing lists, and I _CAN_
unsubscribe to this one (though some seem to have difficulty as of
late :-) ).

How do I know these things?  Well, I'm a listowner on another very small
private list, and I too was curious, like you, about who was on the list,
so I tried the command, and it didn't work.  :-)

That was back a couple years ago, I haven't tried it again, because I
saw no reason that it would have changed.

Mike, our listowner does more than this to keep us free from spam.

Thanks Mike!!!

The "Rogue's Gallery" and Mark's list of Chile-Head pages are helpful and
fun, but the people listed there so far are those that have provided
the information.  I list my homepage URL in my sig, but it has no
chile info on the homepage.

Putting a list of addresses of Chile-Heads on a website without their
permission _WOULD_ get harvested by spammers.  Not the best idea, IMO,
especially without specific permission.  One _COULD_ put a form on the
webpage to allow those that wanted to add (or remove) his/her name and/or
email address.  That's fine for those that _CHOOSE_ to add them.

So much for another long winded response from me.

BTW, I wish all a Happy Easter. [1]

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

[1] whether you celebrate it or not is your business :-)

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas