RE: [CH] Purple Tint and Other Chile Head Stuff

albert zegiel (emmanuel@mwt.net)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 01:15:14 -0800

OH and wait until you see those Tri Fetti !! they are such a pretty plant!

albert.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Celeste or Dave
Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 9:51 AM
To: forsite@forsite.net
Cc: Chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [CH] Purple Tint and Other Chile Head Stuff

> 2.  I have seedlings sprouting and sitting happily under lights. I have
one
> set up BELLs that since this morning have gotten this purple tint to the
> outer edges of the leaves and a little towards the middle.
> I started the seeds in a soilless mixture made for starting seeds in peat
> pots. The seedlings are on the second set of leaves. Should I be concerned
> with the dark purple tint?  what causes it? None of my other peppers(
> jalapeno,serrano, poblano, nu mex) have this problem......

I wouldn't be concerned. I occasionally see purple tinting on some
peppers. I just added a new variety called "Tri Colored Variegata"
which is advertised as having purple stems and variegated leaves. I
just planted it on 3/21 so all I have are the dicot leaves but they
certainly are purple.

> 3. Ive decided to grow some tomatillos this year -  Anything special I
need
> to know about keeping them healthy. Ive read in places where they grow
like
> tomatoes and in other places where they are more vineing and sprawling
than
> tomatoes... Any good advice

Tomatillos sprawl all over the place if you let them. Two plants
covered about 100 square feet in my garden a couple of years ago. I
don't bother to grow them anymore because they take up so much space
and are always available at the supermarket. Harvest them when the
outer skin splits and is dry and crinkly. About 50 days from
transplanting. Good luck!!!

Dave Anderson
Tough Love Chile Co.
http://www.tough-love.com