Re: [CH] hot mustard

Myron Menaker (myronm@bellsouth.net)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 15:12:49 -0400

Here's a recipe for "Habanero Mustard" I found on the web:

2        tablespoons     hot dry mustard powder

1/4     cup                  hot water

3        each                habanero peppers, seeds and stems removed

1        each                papaya, ripe peeled, seeded, and chopped

1        cup                 onion, diced

1/4     cup                 raisins

1/4     cup                 vinegar, malt

2        cloves             garlic, minced

2        tablespoons     sugar, brown

1        tablespoon       rum

1/4     teaspoon          turmeric, ground

1        teaspoon          salt

    In a cup, stir the dry mustard into the hot water until
   dissolved.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Combine the mustard
 mixture and all the remaining ingredients in a saucepan.
    Bring to a simmer over low heat and simmer, stirring
 frequently, until all the fruits are soft and the mixture has
  thickened, about 30 minutes.  Remove from the heat and
  let cool.  Place in a blender or food processor and puree
    until smooth. This mustard will keep for weeks in the
                              refrigerator.

Yield: 2 cups

EXTREMELY HOT

Stephanie Bridges wrote:

> I've been meaning to post this for a while now, but haven't had the
> round tuit necessary.
>
> My hubby came home with some hot mustard one day, which turned out to be
> waaaaay to hot for him (and nearly so for me -- I can only eat in small
> quantities.)  It's called Mezzetta Habanero Mustard.  The ingredient
> list is Dijon mustard, Habanero peppers, garlic puree, and salt.  This
> stuff is HOT!!!  I ended up taking a teaspoon of it and mixing into a
> small jar of honey mustard  -- gave the honey mustard a nice subtle
> heat.

Myron Menaker                      Daytona Beach FL USA
myronm@bellsouth.net     |
          "Keep the Whole World Singing!"   |