Re: [CH] Chiltepins in peat containers

David C. Yoshiba (av8d-ysb@asahi-net.or.jp)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:34:24 +0900

Greetings all,

Greg (below) wrote about cheap peat planters. I tried an experiment this
year with cheap containers that worked fabulously for me. I used paper egg
cartons. (Although after the recent chemical discussions, I'm beginning to
wonder what's in them! Fortunately, the ones that I am using aren't dyed
ultraviolet colors or anything.)

Since they are made of relatively thin paper and will allow excess water to
seep out, I didn't cut drainage holes. I dumped in a mixture of soil
and--er--organic fertilizer. I then stuck a couple of seeds out of last
year's pods in each cell and tossed the lot on top of the refrigerator. I
used plastic egg cartons as trays underneath the paper ones to prevent any
extra water from eventually forming off-colored icicles in the freezer. At
the same time, I used a perforated plastic tray with the same conditions,
but with different seeds (thus adeptly eliminating any possibility of a
truly scientific experiment). I watered the paper containers once every two
days. The plastic held water much better, so I watered only enough to keep
the soil moist.

Three weeks later...the egg cartons are going gangbusters. One of them is a
veritable forest. I set the egg cartons in the windows during the day to let
the seedlings take in the sun. In the evening, it is back on top of the
fridge--this mornings low was in the high 30s(!) here and it was windy last
night.

I dug the seeds out of the plastic tray yesterday. They had turned very
unhealthy colors despite the fact that I had watered them much less. They
looked very dilapidated. I put them into an egg carton yesterday and am
hoping for the best.

Later when I transplant, the egg cartons look as if they are going to make
the job much easier. I'll be able to whack them up into little pieces cell
by cell.

Next year, I will plant most of my seeds in egg cartons and put them in my
cold frame near the middle of February--that is unless my DNA makeup is
horribly altered by the chemicals in the paper ;-).