Re: [CH] Cross-pollination

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:33:50 -0500

Ron Hill wrote:

> Hi all,
> I grow several varieties of chiles in a small greenhouse
> (8ft x 4 ft) including habs, serranos, cherry cayenne and
> a few bell peppers etc.
> There is every chance for cross-pollination, especially as I
> help things along with a small paintbrush. Is there any
> possibility that there will be crosses formed between say
> the habs and the bell peppers, or the habs and serranos,
> or are they incompatible?
>
> (Mind you the thought of a bell pepper with the heat of a hab
> makes my hair curl!)

AFAIK a habanero won't cross with a bell pepper. However, jalapeno,
cayenne, tabasco, etc. are close cousins (close enuff <GGG>) and can
heat up your bells. There is also a hot (sorta warm) bell called the
Mexi-bell.

The problem is that the cross can go the other way and tone down the
heat in catenne, serrano, tabasco, etc.  B^(=

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider