Re: [CH] Tortillas, not chiles so much

Art Pierce (pierces@cruzio.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 05:13:12 -0700

> From: Ben Holm <bholm@yahoo.com>

> In the meantime, what is the best way to flatten tortillas without a press?

Definitely not with a giant titanium flyswattter
and, alternately,  it's very hard to get them thin evenly enough
with your hands or a rolling pin (whether dough is between aluminum foil,
plastic wrap, waxed paper or banan leaves) if you haven't been doing it
daily for a year or two..

FIRST,

before you buy something that you may not use enough,
read pp. 69-72 of:
Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen: Recipes & Techiniques of A World-Class Cuisine
ISBN 0684800063
http://acses8.acses.com/acsesbin/nph-det8.cgi?isbn=0684800063&idcode=144387&country=USA
in your library or local bookstore.

[If you want to buy the book, it's listed at $35 USD,
but you should be able to get it as low as $27.45 USD (Including S&H)
http://www.bcybookloft.com/bcystore/shopper.cgi?itemno=0684800063 ]

~~~

Some more on tortillas at:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rjsalvad/scmfaq/tortilla.html

~~~
~~~

> I'm planning on getting a tortilla press in the near future.
> Does anyone know of a mail order source?

Try:

http://www.ammfg.com/s500.html
http://www.ammfg.com/mk20t.html
http://www.ammfg.com/mk32t.html

~~~

And, if you're not quite that serious about lots-o'-tortillas,
try:

CORN TORTILLA PRESS $12.00 USD
http://www.texmex.net/Products/cooking.htm

#250221 $14.95 USD
http://www.sunlandimports.com/kitchen.htm

H752. TORTILLA PRESS $17.98 USD
http://www.superseeds.com/kitchen.htm

Tortilla Press (Leveraged Handle) - $19.49 USD
http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/49vweb406.html#Top