RE: [CH] Hot Stuff Trivia

Jeff James (JEFFJ@Attachmate.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:56:44 -0700

What about Citrus?  I went through New Mexico a few years back (oh God I
loved that part of the trip) and my uncle who lived in Albuquerque always
had orange slices on the side for all the hot dishes.  It worked like a
dream, and is something I have always used for, how shall we say this, some
of my weaker guests.

Speaking of New Mexico, I'll be in Farmington for a long weekend in June.
Any "Must Stops" (besides, of course, the golf course!)  Hmmmm.......I can
taste it already.  Blue Corn Tortillas, a couple fried eggs, green chilis
mounded over the eggs, and a liberal slathering of some type of Hot Hot Hot
chilis (I was a newby last time I was there and couldn't tell what kind the
chilis were).....mmmmmmmmm.

That last trip to NM is what made me start growing my own (chilis.)  I
realized how Chili deficient we are in the Northwest.

- JJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Deb deForest [mailto:deforest@selec.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 7:11 AM
To: CH-L
Subject: Re: [CH] Hot Stuff Trivia

Jim Campbell, Sr., The Wonderful wrote:

"Sugar is also effective.  It hides the burning sensation and buys you
time.  This is why sweeter sauces sometimes seem delayed.  Time is
really the only 'cure'.

- -Jim C"

If y'all haven't tried it, I still say banana is the best way to
immediately cool a superheated mouth.  Better than cream, milk, ice
cream, etc.  I don't know the scientific reason but I do know it works
(and much easier to carry along when you plan on a lot of tasting of
unknown chile goods).  If it's Hunan hands, washing them with toothpaste
seems to work best for me.
YMMV (let me know if it does).  Deb in Houston