Re: [CH] greenhouse

David C. Yoshiba (av8d-ysb@asahi-net.or.jp)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:07:05 +0900

At 9:07 PM +0100 99.4.18, Ron Hill wrote:
> Hi David,
> Just one word of caution - don't try growing aubergines (egg plants)
> in the same greenhouse, because they are host plants for whitefly,
> One year I found out about it too late, after losing a crop of tomatoes :-(
>
> Regards,
> Ron.

Thanks. That's good information. I didn't know that.

I have my auberguine seedlings under the same cover as my chile seedlings
now. The auberguines were to be transplanted outside anyway, but it is good
to know they should be distanced. If they do host nasties that shouldn't be
allowed near the chiles, I should plant the auberquines well away from the
greenhouse door.

I'm hoping to get quite a bit of transplanting done this coming
weekend....After reading the discussion a few days ago on placing plants
close together, I've decided to give that a try. Last year, I planted my
seedlings a meter apart or so. I think I will try maybe half that distance
this year.

Now, all I have to do if figure out the order that I want to plant them in
the house so as to get maximum yield out of the limited space.

David Yoshiba