Re: [CH] Avocadoes

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@protix.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:04:41 -0500

At 10:13 AM 4/19/99 +0100, Andrew Healy wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are suitble chilli/avocado pear recipes, as
>chilli should cut the fat from the avocado, like a blade ?

Andrew:

Here's a sauce that I've posted before; it's wonderful on grilled fish but
could also be used with chicken. I don't know about its effect on the fat
content of avocados, but it tastes very good.

Salsa de Aguacate (from Dave deWitt and Nancy Gerlach's "Habanero Cookbook")

2 ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
3 tomatillos, husked and cleaned (see NOTE below)
2 (or more) habaneros, minced
1 small onion, diced
As many garlic cloves as you like, minced - I use about 6
2-3 Tbsp. lime juice
Salt to taste

Put all ingredients except lime juice and salt in a food processor and
puree. Add lime juice till desired consistency is achieved (less-ripe
avocados make it thicker and chunkier, riper ones make it smoother and
runnier). Taste and add salt as desired. Top grilled fish or chicken with
sauce and enjoy. Remnants of sauce will keep about 2 days in the fridge.

Also makes a great party dip.

NOTE on tomatillos: if using canned tomatillos, they can be added to the
mix directly. If using fresh ones, husk and wash them, then boil in water
to cover for about 5-7 minutes, until soft. Run under cold water to cool,
quarter, and add with the other ingredients for the puree.

Jonathan

Jonathan Smillie
Installation & Training Team Manager
ProTix, Inc.